Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sight Words

These have been Isaac's sight words for the past three weeks (remember he is in FIRST GRADE):

Week 1:
asserted
offended
retorted
congenial
congregate
cheerful

Week 2:
pleased
joy
stammered
puzzling
probing
unrelenting

Week 3:
deserve
usually
peaceful
variety
incredible
typical

I don't know what they think these first graders are reading, but I can guarantee you not many of these words have been any books that Isaac has read.

What really gets me....they are not teaching the definitions of these words. They just want the kids to be able to see these words and no how to say them. In my opinion there are many OTHER words that are more on their level, that DO show up in the stories they read.

We spend the first evening looking up words and getting definitions. Even if they are words I use often, I have to look them up to get them on a first grade definition level for him.

Just seems crazy to me that this is what they are teaching them.

No comments: