Monday, March 23, 2009

Report Cards

The boys brought home report cards Friday. I am so proud of all three of them!

Caleb got straight A's, ranging from 94 to 101. He also got an A on conduct and all of his teachers said he was an excellant student.

Isaac got all A's and B's, ranging from 88 to 100. He also got an A on conduct.

The grade scale here is weird. Instead of a 10 point scale most schools use (90-100 is an A, 80-89 is a B, etc) they are on a different scale (94-100 is an A, 88-93.999 is a B, 78-87.999 is a C, etc). Luckily, they just voted to change to the 10 point scale next year because too many kids were not qualifying for scholarships because their GPAs were not high enough. I am SO glad they figured this out before my kids got to high school!

Bryce does not get a numeral grade yet. He gets NI (needs improvement), S (Satisfactory Performance) and M (meets standard). Up until this point on his report cards he has gotten lots of S's and NI's. This quarter he got M's across the board!! He also got no X's (which is what he gets on conduct in places he needs improvements (social/personal development.....pays attention, follows directions, etc). I am so proud of the progress he has made this year. I have had some concerns throughout the year! He has also REALLY picked up reading this quarter. Even his teacher has commented on his progress there.

We are very lucky to have four boys that LOVE to read. The older three no longer want to be read too (Caleb hasn't wanted to in a while), they want to read to us. I hope they carry their love of reading (and learning) throughout life (and I hope the other two adopt the love). I do all I can to encourage it by reading to them early on, but that is not a guarantee that they will enjoy it when they get older.

I need some feedback.....
Caleb wants to read Oliver Twist. It is in the young adult section at the library (he can't check it out on his card). IF I have read it, I don't remember it and Daddy doesn't remember it either. Is it appropriate for a ten year old? This is an issue we seem to run into with him and unfortunately, if the book has more than 20 pages and isn't written in big print, I don't typically have time to read it (honestly, it isn't that I don't have time...it is that if I sit down or lay down to read it at night when the kids go to bed - I FALL ASLEEP!).

No comments: