Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Whole Mardi Gras Thing

I would have never known how big Mardi Gras really is until we lived here. I probably STILL DON'T know really how big it is, but I have enough of an idea now. Not only have there been weekends of parades, followed by DAYS of parades (I think there have been numerous parades daily since Friday), but city/parish offices and banks are actually closed today.

This is what I think is the funniest part. So, Mardi Gras is the time leading up to Ash Wednesday and beginning of Lent. The schools, offices, etc are closed for Mardi Gras, but everything opens back up on Ash Wednesday. Closed for the days leading up to the actual holiday this is all for.

I might have a better understanding for WHAT it is, but I don't know that I will ever understand it.

Today is Fat Tuesday. Do you say Happy Fat Tuesday to people? HMMMM....still so much to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And yet there are so many people that want God taken out of places of business. How many of these business will be closed on Good Friday or Easter or Christmas. Oh well such is our society today. God will have His revenge on us all.