Monday, April 30, 2007

How To Scare Your Husband

Especially when he is out of town:

When he calls, answer the phone and tell him you will have to call him back because the fire department is at your house.

I called Paul earlier today because one of our smoke detectors kept going off. I did not know if it was also carbon monoxide detectors, so I had no idea what was causing it.

After ALL of the detectors in the house went off twice, I called the fire department. I explained that I did not see smoke or smell smoke, but that the alarms kept going off and that I replaced the batteries yesterday in ALL of them (it did not sound like a low battery alarm though - it was an actual alarm going off). I asked if someone could come check and make sure there is not something going on that I was not seeing (like carbon monoxide).

SOOOOOO - they send out TWO firetrucks WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS and then an off-duty fireman also came. Not quite what I was thinking!! Not only did they do all of this, but they came in in full gear - tank and mask and all!! I explained again what was going on and they took off their tanks, etc. He checked the alarms, and said that he thinks they are just malfunctioning and to call the contractor tomorrow and tell them they needed to fix them.

He also said that if I could find out which alarm is causing the problem to unplug the wire on that one. The only way to know which one is the problem, you have to be standing underneath it when it goes off so you can see the red light. Well, when the alarm goes off it only sounds for several seconds and then stops. I don't have much time to hear the alarms and run around the house to the six alarms to figure out which one is red!!

I WILL NOT unplug all of the detectors, so hopefully they will not be going off all night!!

The boys LOVED it!! Caleb said he hoped we become famous because of all of the lights and sirens. As it is, ALL of the neighbors were standing outside their houses, trying to figure out what was going on.

I did call Paul and let him know what was going on!! Didn't want him to worry ALL night!!

No comments: