Thursday, October 25, 2007

Unsafe Bumbo Seats

As I recently posted and put on a video of, Andrew is able to get out of his Bumbo seat. I figured it was Houdini doing what Houdini does. But, Mom sent me a message this morning saying that the Bumbo was on GMA this morning and they were saying it was not safe. I missed it on GMA and could not find it on their site, but I did find this: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=7on_your_side&id=5716629

It is a local ABC channel doing a story on it. It discusses kids getting out of the Bumbo seat and getting hurt. Bumbo, of course says that you are not supposed to have it on raised surfaces and the child should not be left alone in it - then stuff like that would not happen.

Now, I may have a Houdini that can get out of ANYTHING at this point. My question is, is it realistic for a company like this to expect a parent to put their child in a seat and then stare at the child the entire time he/she is sitting there? These things are usually bought so that the parent can have a free hand to do things. A parent can be IN the same room with the child, so he is not UNATTENDED, but not be staring at the baby. Andrew can get out pretty quick! I don't put him in it anymore without the tray (which is sold seperately and a lot of people don't buy) and even then I use it on the floor and with me right there.

This product was tested with a weight, as the video shows. Great - it can hold up to the specified amount of weight, but it was not tested to see if children can get out. Would that not be an important thing to test, especially when it is marketed for children up to 14 months. What 14 month old sits still?

I loved this seat before Andrew was moving around so much. He would just sit in it and I could do whatever I needed. But even before this report, I had found that it was not great for his abilities!

It is not just Bumbo that does this. Many people won't spend $40 on something they know there child will only use a short period of time. By marketing to a larger age group, they sell more products. I don't completely blame the industry - my kid can wiggle out of anything - not all kids can at this age, but I think there should be a little more honesty about it. But don't market something with pictures of the seat on tables and countertops and then blame the parents for doing the same thing. Regardless of where the photos came from (he says they came from "proud parents") it is the companies responsibility to not market their product with pictures of the product being misused. I do blame Bumbo for this. Don't preach that your leaflet has warnings saying not to do something that you are promoting!

Luckily, none of my kids have been injured. But after watching Andrew, I can see how injuries happen. These Bumbo seats are used at daycares, nurseries (our church nursery has a couple of them). Places like this have different people going in and out all the time, many of which know nothing about the unsafeties of the seat!

Thanks Mom for the info.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was getting ready to call you about the Bumbo. I just saw something on the internet about it. Glad your mom told you about it. Love you. Lindsay