Thursday, October 02, 2008

Pediatrician

If you read this blog regularly, you know one of my biggest stresses since we moved here has been finding a pediatrician comparable to what we have had in the past. The kids have had two pediatricians their entire life - one in TX and one in AR.

We have been to one here last month for Bryce's kindergarten physical. I was NOT impressed! It is a pediatrician/internal medicine clinic and all of the drs see all ages. That is fine for some. I don't think he spent near enough time with us though. It was a new patient and we spent less than FIVE minutes with the dr. Bryce was supposed to have a physical, the dr checked his reflexes and asked if there were any problems. That doesn't work for me! You can't catch ANYTHING medically by asking a parent if they have seen anything and checking reflexes.

Maybe I am spoiled, I don't know. But - it is what it is.

I just called and made an appointment for Andrew for his 18 month checkup. We are getting in the sick season and I am not comfortable not having a dr if we need one. Unfortunately, I have to drive 45 minutes (assuming there is minimal traffic) to go to the dr. There are only a handful of drs in our town. Some are at the clinic we already went too. The rest are at the hospital and are not from America. That is not a racist statement, but I had a cardiologist that was from another country and I could not understand him very well. With all of the issues that AJ has had - I NEED to be able to easily understand the dr I am dealing with.

I picked an older dr that has stayed current with all of his certifications. Hopefully, he will take time to listen and go over things. If not, we will find another dr. Maybe I will just start going back to Arkansas when the kids need to go to the dr!!! Luckily we were able to get in Tuesday (the 7th). Wish us luck!!!

No comments: