Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Hard Life

I got this email from Emily the other day. HILARIOUS and SO true! We are going through the internet vs card catalog thing with Caleb since he has two projects due in less than a week. Just too good not to share!



When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears

With their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they
were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every
morning ... Uphill... BOTH ways



Yadda, yadda, yadda



And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,
there was no way I was going to lay
a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it
And how easy they've got it!
But now that... I'm over the ripe old age
of Thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.



You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my

Childhood, you live in Utopia!
And I hate to say it but you kids today
you don't know how good you've got it!



I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted
to know
something, We had to go to the library and

Look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!
There was no email!! We had to actually
write

Somebody a letter, with a pen!
...Then you had to walk all the way
across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like
a week
to get there!



There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to

Steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and
shoplift it
yourself!
Or you had to wait around all day to tape
it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and
screwed it all up!


We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you

Were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal,
that's
it!



And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!

When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your
school,

Your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections
agent, you

Just didn't know !!! You had to pick it up and take your chances,
mister!



We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video

Games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600!
With games

Like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little
square! You

Actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple
levels or

Screens, it was just one screen

Forever!



And you could never win. The game just kept getting

Harder and harder and

Faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!





You had to use a Little book called a TV Guide to find out what was

On! You were screwed when it Came to channel surfing! You had to
get off
&n bsp;
Your ass and walk over to the TV to c hange the Channel and there
was no

Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons

On Saturday Morning. Do you Hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait
ALL WEEK

For cartoons, you spoiled

Little brats



And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat

Something up we had to use the stove .. Imagine that!
That's exactly what I'm talking about!
You kids

Today have got it too easy.

You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted

Five minutes back in 1980!



Regards,

The over 30 Crowd
(or almost 30 crowd)

No comments: