Thursday, June 08, 2006

You Know You See Your Pediatrician Too Much

You know how usually if you run into one of your doctors while out running errands, the doctor will usually recognize you and say hello, but does not usually start a conversation or really know WHO you are. Well, here is a sad story for you.

So, Monday morning at about 8 in the morning, I am at the post office trying to buy stamps out of one of those machines. Well, the boys pediatrician walked in, “Hi Meaghan. How are you today?” “Fine thank you. How are you?” I ask a little shocked.
“Fine, and how are Caleb, Isaac and Bryce?” “They are pretty good” (obviously since we have not seen you in about a month) I said still a little in shock. “That is good. How are Isaac’s ears doing?” he ask.

Okay by then I was just blown away. I am not the type that goes up to the dr when I run into him and starts asking about my childs health, even if I want too. If I run into him outside of the office #1 he is not working and probably does not want to be bothered with work and #2 I don’t expect him to really know who I am much less ALL of our names and all of the kids ailments.

He is a great doctor and the kids all love him, so I am sure that as long as he practices and as long as the kids are under 18 they will see him. He is one of those rare ones that actually takes the time to listen to what you say and what the kids say. He talks to the kids instead of about the kids. He does not think that because he has the degree he knows if something is off. He trusts the “mothers instinct” thing or at least plays along with it.

Yes, we do have to wait in the waiting room when we go see him. Sometimes, the waiting period is horrible. Many people have asked why I keep going back to the same dr knowing that I could have to wait 1+ hours after my appointment time to see him. Here is my answer to that: I could take my kids to any dr and have that dr come in, look over my child, tell me what is wrong (or what he sees in his 2 minute go over the child), prescribe me some medicine and be on our way. Or…I could patiently wait until it is my turn to see him. I have the peace of mind of knowing that the doctor is going to know who my child is and that my child is comfortable with him. I also have the peace of mind that he will take the time to listen to me and the child and discuss what symptoms most would not ask about. He will then give his opinion and ask yours. It is a group effort instead. If I don’t know, I tell him I don’t know and to do what he feels is best. Most importantly I TRUST HIM!

When people ask how I can sit for however long with a sick child in the waiting room, knowing that your appointment has long come and gone, this is my response to that. First, I come knowing that it could be a long trip. I don’t come feeling rushed. I have someone to pick up the others from school if I need them too. I also keep reminding myself that the doctor is taking his time with another patient and listening to them, just like I want him to do when I get in there!

No comments: