Sunday, June 25, 2006

Where Is My Sleepy Boy?

Bryce has always slept more than "normal" for most kids. I have not been too concerned though because he always slept a lot, since birth. When I say he sleeps a lot, I mean usually 12-14 hours every night with a 3 hour nap during the day. I have always just let him sleep what he has needed too and arrange things around his nap.

Well, if you read the blog frequently, you know that Bryce has been growing out of THINKING he needs sleep. Actually, he is not growing out of it - he has done a 180! For a while I could not get him to take naps. I would put him in his room and he would do his good night routine, but he would play as soon as the door was shut.

Well, he got to where he was asking me to leave his door open when I put him to bed. I reluctantly left the door open - and he immediately went to bed. Well, we did that for about a week and it was working very well. I would put him to bed and with no crying or fits. Then one day he decided he did not want his door left open. I guess he realized that if the door was open he could not play without being caught. Now I make him leave it open!!

So, before, if he did not take a nap, he would go to bed early. Now, he does not take a nap and when I put him to bed, he does not go to sleep for 3 or 4 hours! He has gone from 15 + hours of sleep everyday, to about 7 1/2 hours a day. HE CUT HIS SLEEP IN HALF almost overnight. Unfortunately for us all - he is not ready for this! When I am at my tiredest and grouchiest is when he is now at his. This does not make for pleasant evenings!! Hopefully they will get my medicine dosage worked out so that I will have the energy to deal with him a little better. For some reason I think I have forever lost my sleepyhead little boy to a stay-up-all-day/night-party animal!

No comments: