Sunday, June 25, 2006

I THINK I CAUSED THE FEROCIOUS THREES!!

I think it is all my fault!! Bryce's favorite book up until we found Firebears was The Ravenous Beast. I must have taught him to be like this by reading him this book. Where is the rating system?? They have rating systems for movies, games and music - why not books?

Maybe I should start one. For example:
TMW - Too Many Words for a bed time story - somehow the kids always know to pick the
longest book for US to read when we say goodnight.

PFB - Perfect For Bed - this would be for nice, short, sweet, quiet books

MVE - Many Voices Expected - The Ravenous Beast would fall under this category. This is for books that have many different characters - which all need their own voice, of course.

CTW - Could Turn Wild - The Ravenous Beast would also fall under this one! This book has the word hungry in it A LOT! Well, I started something with the boys and now everytime I say the word hungry - I have to tickle the boys as I say it. The giggles start coming and the boys tense up into a ball everytime I get close to "the" word. NOT A GOOD BEDTIME STORY!!

WEQ - Will Evoke Questions - these are the books Caleb LOVES!! While they are healthy and sometimes fun, it is not what you want to read right before you are about to go somewhere or when you have kids screaming or fighting!! Make sure you have PLENTY of time to devote to answering the questions to the best of your ability and always be prepared to get online to look up what he does not feel like you have suffieciently taught. He does, after all, know more than you (and if he doesn't he will when he gets done reading EVERY site he finds when he does a search and gets GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE at the bottom of the search page - because yes, he will click on EVERY result found!)

CGE - Could Get Expensive - I think every time we go to the library Caleb ends up with a book that means I have to spend money! He gets books on making paper airplanes (you need cardstock paper, tape, paperclips, etc), origami, science experiments (I thought that is why we kept the tadpoles!?!), magic tricks, etc.

HA - Highly Addictive - means that your two year old might make you read it so many times that you both have it memorized in less than two weeks. (Since I recite Firebears even when Bryce is not with me.....)

NW - No Words - a personal favorite because then the kids can make up their own story and READ IT TO ME!!

This post is causing my brain too hurt, I will keep thinking of a rating system and if anyone has any they would like included...let me know!

No comments: