Sunday, April 26, 2009

One Week Old

Madeleine is a week old. She has adjusted very well. She is sleeping through the night for the most part. If she wakes up in the middle of the night it is only once or twice to eat and she goes right back to sleep.

During the day she is still sleeping a lot, but she is starting to stay awake more. She smiles all the time. I don't care if it is gas smile or a smile because she wants to smile....I love seeing it! When she does get mad though...she gets MAD!!! She came out screaming in a way I don't think I had heard from ANY of the kids. She has some lungs and is not afraid to show their capabilities if she does not get what she wants when she wants it.

She hates being undressed and having diaper changes, but she also hates having a dirty diaper on. Since she is still a newborn and is breastfeeding, we have LOTS of dirty diapers!

The only problem we are really having right now is that she does not burp after she eats. This is causing some major upset tummies. We have tried SO many different ways of holding her and attempting to burp her, but nothing is working. Mylicon is our friend!

I still cannot get used to having a GIRL. When she went to her first drs appt this week and I was filling out her paperwork I kept trying to mark male when they asked male or female. Just a while ago I told the boys to find something quiet to do while their brother and sister sleep. Still seems wierd to say sister!

As far as Andrew adjusting goes, I think the worst is to come! Papa was here for the last two weeks and Marmar was here for a week. They kept him very busy and gave him LOTS of attention. Now, not only is he going to be adjusting to a sister, he also has to adjust to not getting the undivided attention he was getting when his brothers were at school.

We have seen him act out some all week, but he does not really direct it at Madeleine. His biggest issue has been not minding. When you tell him to do something we are getting "no" a lot and when he does finally do it (IF he does) he usually has a pretty big attitude about it. He is super sweet to Madeleine though. He gives her kisses all the time. He is rough though! He lays across her to kiss her on the face. We are working on it and I am trying to spend LOTS of time with him when she is sleeping. When she is awake I try to get him to help me as much as he can to keep him busy and make him feel like I need his help.

I am somewhat concerned about what is going to happen next week. I am still not supposed to be picking up Andrew and he is good at getting "jello legs" when he doesn't want to do something. I am just going to try to keep Andrew on his routine and try and get Mady to adjust to his routine. We will see what happens.

No comments: