Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Isaac's First Biography

Isaac has to do a biography in front of his class of a famous person. Each child has to have someone different, so we went with Neil Armstrong. Daddy and I have kind of forgotten about it and put it off until (we thought) this past weekend. Then we went to the beach this past weekend and forgot about it Sunday.

As if weekday homework for three is not bad enough every night, we had to add on top of that a biography. He has to have five facts, written on index cards and memorized. He cannot read the cards, but can have them to glance at if he needs to while he is in front of the class. He has to dress up and act like he IS Neil Armstrong.

We sat down last night after regular homework for everyone was done and started working on it. He got his cards written and the whole biography almost completely memorized. I am so proud of him! There are a few dates in the presentation, and that is the only time he really needs the cards, but he knows when to move the card to the back without looking at them, so if he needs to glance down he doesn't have to fumble through all the cards.

We partially chose Neil Armstrong because Caleb was an astronaut for Halloween so we have the orange jumpsuit they wear. We will do a "dress-rehearsal" tonight and I will try to take some pictures.

Here is his biography:

I am Neil Armstrong and I was born August 5, 1930 in Ohio.
I got my pilot license at age 16.
I was in the Navy and became an astronaut in 1962.
On July 20, 1969 I became the first man to set foot on the moon.
I am 78 years old and live in Ohio.

Seems short and easy enough, but when you are in first grade, standing in front of your classmates and teacher giving a report on someone you really don't know much about (in fact, as we were doing it last night Isaac says "I thought it had to be about a FAMOUS person"...that leaves like Barak Obama, George Bush and John McCain) for the first time, and you can't read your cards, it is a lot to remember (especially the dates). He did a great job last night learning it.

No comments: