Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pedastal Rock

Last weekend, we drove to a park we went to last summer. You hike a fairly short hike and come to a spot where you overlook a waterfall. Last year when we went there was a waterfall, but nothing too big. The river that produced the falls was almost completely dried up. We wanted to go back because we have been getting so much rain, we figured the waterfall would be pretty impressive.

There was more water going over, but still not as much as we expected to see.




You would think that since I grew up hiking, backpacking, rock-climbing, repelling, etc., I would be a little less stressed when my family hikes places like this. I AM NOT!! I cringe when Paul walks near the edge. I DON'T let the boys walk near the edge. This particular hike, the rocks we are walking on has many crack where you look through them and there is nothing. I don't even like the boys walking around those - even though some of them, I know they could not fit in the crack to fall through. My theory: accidents are not planned - that is why they are called accidents. No one plans to fall over the side of a cliff, but it still happens. The boys are too crazy, and think they are 10 foot tall and bullet proof. They don't pay enough attention when they are hiking and playing to where I am comfortable with them being close to the edge. Paul gives me bad time about my paranoia with it, but it is what it is!

I did not realize that on the drive up we would have to go through Atkins. It is one of several towns that got hit by a tornado the beginning of February. At first, I did not even realize where we were. We saw tarps on roofs and people working on buildings. Then Paul realized we were in Atkins. To see people's houses and belongings damaged, or completely destroyed was heart-breaking. It really makes you thankful that with all of the devastating weather that has hit our state the last couple of months (and the states around us), we have remained safe and with no damage.

No comments: