Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Preauricular Pits

I did some research because I could not remember the name the dr gave the "indentations" at Andrew's ear. So, thanks to google, I know they are called Preauricular Pits, and now have a little bit of information about them and what to expect. Reading this stuff definently did not make me feel any better about the situation, but as I already said - I am not going to worry about it until I need too. It is nice to know what COULD come from it though!
I was able to get a better picture than the previous one of what I am talking about (just double click on the picture to enlarge it):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a former medical librarian and now a consumer health researcher/university professor. I'm also the mom of a child who was born with preauricular pits on both sides; these are definitely things to keep an eye on, but not obsess about. Most kids have no problems at all with them, and it actually is impossible to state how many people are born with them in the first place, since we have a count only of the pits that cause medical problems :)

My son was one of the unlucky ones, which is why I know so much about them...At 14 he still has regular discharge from the most problematic of the two pits, but knows when to freak and when not to worry.