Monday, August 28, 2006

Make-up Work

Friday when Caleb went back to school, he brought home the work he missed when he was in Mississippi. Yesterday when I made him sit down and work on it, he decided he did not know how to do anything and spent over 3 hours doing two worksheets. One worksheet had letters with spaces either before or after. He was supposed to write the letter that went before the letter shown or after (depending on where the space was). For some reason my normally "bright" son forgot his alphabet and could not figure it out. On the next worksheet, Math, it was simple subtraction. He kept coming in asking what 8-3=, and 10-1=. Maybe we should rethink the whole getting tested for GT!!!

After three hours and only 2 out of 5 (all front and back) worksheets getting done I told him to go to bed. He got mad and said he did not want zeros and started crying. I told him he had plenty of time to get it all done and to still have time to play!!

I caved though. I got him up early this morning to finish the worksheets. The rest were all Math, but it was groups of tens and ones. You had to count how many groups of tens there were and how many ones and tell the total. Very easy!! Still took him way to long!

Nonetheless - it all got done! I told myself next time I would stick to my guns and if it takes him getting some zeros and a not perfect report card that is so important to him (he is his hardest critic!!) then that is what it takes, but he needs to learn the lesson now and not later!

Since he will be missing Friday for us to go to Colorado, I sent a letter to his teacher asking her to let him do the work he would miss in his free time or to send it home. Friday he has his first two test so I also asked if he could take those Thursday. She sent a note home today saying that she would gladly give him the test on Thursday.

It sounds like it will be a good year. She sounds like a great teacher and really seems to work with us. Lets hope it remains this way all year and not just the first couple of weeks!!

No comments: