Friday, January 05, 2007

The New House

I just got back from returning a carpet sample to our builders. When I got there, the builder was the one there (we have been dealing with his agent before now). I gave him the carpet and he asked which house it was for. I told him and he started talking to me about the house.

He told me the gas company came out and apparantly the gas line never got laid. He said it was no big deal - they were coming out Tuesday to take care of it. He also said that the company they are ordering the carpet from is one they have never used, so while it SHOULD only take 3 or 4 days to get it, he can't really say because he has never dealt with these people. Other than that, he said the walls had some touch-up painting done, but it was done with the wrong color. He asked if I had noticed it. I told him we have only been over there one time with the lights on and we were only there long enough to pick out carpet. He said they were taking care of it.

I called Paul when I had left and he asked me to go by the house and see if the builder was there (he left when I did). The backyard - which has sod down - is very unlevel. It would not be to terrible a problem, except water is pooling in a few low spots. We mentioned this to the agent and he said that there was a one year warranty on it and if there was a problem, they could come back and level it. We have seen it twice now, after rain. We know it is going to be a problem. Paul wanted me to mention it to the builder and see if they could fix it before they put up the fence because the post are in, but the boards have not been put up. To level it correctly, the fence is going to have to come partially down.

Well, when I drove by, the builder was not there, but the guys were there building the fence!! I guess at this point it is there problem. We mentioned it to our real estate agent and the builders agent when we first looked at the house (it is always nice to look at a house in the rain! You see things like this!) and then we have mentioned it several times since. It will be mentioned again in the final walk-through!

To me it makes no sense to wait until the sod takes root and then either pull it up and start over or throw dirt on top of it and lay new sod. This is something we are just going to have to stand our ground on (no pun intended)!

Everyone seems to think the house is going to be ready very soon, and the lender called and said since the appraiser was coming out today, we will probably be ready to close before the original closing date of the 26th. That would be nice, but at the same time means more closing cost (they charge interest per day). We will see how things turn out and see what has to be done when we do our final walk-through!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remember if it's not in writing it doesn't exist...in other words back up all your communication and requests in writing. Congratulations to the Barton family on the new house,I look forward to seeing it become a home for you. Love you!