Sunday, July 09, 2006

Memphis Zoo Polar Bears

The visit to the polar bears was so hilarious I have to give it its own post. I am so mad that I did not have the camera (with video) with me when this was happening!

When we got to their exhibit, there were not any other people watching them. So, the boys and I went and sat at one of the windows and watched the polar bears. There was one that kept walking from the window we were at to the window next to us. He was pacing, but under water I guess. He came over and stopped and looked at the boys and then went to the other window, then repeat the same again. Well the third time or so that he came over, he stood up on his hind legs a little. Then he RAMMED his head on the glass - right in Caleb's face. Caleb jumped and the other two and I were laughing!

Then the polar bear just turned and went to the other window. We kept sitting there to see if he would come back. Imagine our surprise when he came back, looked at the boys and rammed the glass in the boys face again. He did this 4 or 5 times and then a crowd of people noticed and came over to see. He continued to do this several more times. Each time he went for a different boys face. The boys were just dying laughing everytime he would come up and rear back and ram the window and make water splash all over.

Much to the boys dismay, I told them we needed to get up and let someone else look. There were about 4 windows, but everyone was at the one we were at. I wish I knew if he kept doing it after we left. Even though he kept walking to the other window, he never rammed it. The poor other polar bear was not getting any attention.

I don't know anything about polar bears. When we first walked up he was playing with a big ball in the water. I don't know if he was trying to play or trying to get his lunch (he could eat Bryce in no more than 2 bites!!). It was a neat experience for the boys and they talked about it for quite a while!

No comments: