Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The T (Thumb-eating)-Rex

This morning Andrew and I were reading books together. He would not stop sucking his thumb, so I turned every story into Andrew and NOT sucking his thumb. Then I decided to make a story up for Andrew.

He now thinks a dinosaur is going to eat his thumb off if Andrew puts his thumb in his mouth. He thinks the dinosaur is sitting outside and can hear him sucking his thumb even if we can't hear anything.

All morning he has really been thinking about it when his thumb goes toward his mouth. I have caught him several times with his hand AT his mouth like he is sucking his thumb, but his thumb not in his mouth.

I have also seen him staring at his thumb saying "No, no, no" like he is reminding himself not to suck his thumb. He is walking around saying "no mouth!" and shoving his hand in his pocket.

Hopefully, this will help. I wrote a "book" for him and I will read it frequently to keep him reminded! He sucks on his thumb without even realizing he is doing it. At least this is making him more aware of it and making him think about it.

No comments: