Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Non-working Mom

Right after Caleb got home today, he for some reason asked when Take Your Child to word day is. I told him Daddy could not take his kids to work, it was not allowed. He says "And you don't work. All you do is stay home and clean house all day."

Okay, first off....as if cleaning house all day for a bunch of boys isn't a big enough job for ANYONE!

Secondly, that does not even scratch the surface of what I do.

We have gone through this before, I have corrected him and told him some of what I do, but he still makes comments like this.

It is an issue of respect (or lack of) I am having here.

On Wednesday nights he has the option of writing his 20 spelling words five times each or taking a practice test and having a parent sign it. Caleb always opts for the practice test and I am always the one that gives it to him.

This afternoon he came up to me with the list and handed it to me and said that he was ready for his practice test. I said "I don't do anything but clean, and that is not cleaning. Sorry, but I can't help you."

He gave me a look and then said "I am ready!" I repeated the same and he stormed off to his room.

Afer the statement and then the huge attitude (which, by the way, why did he never think to ask his DAD to help him with the practice test), I told him that from today to the end of the weekend, anything I would normally do - he gets to do. From cleaning, to changing diapers, cooking, etc. Obviously, there are things he CAN'T do, like going and getting groceries, running errands, etc.

Hopefully, him getting a little first hand taste of what I do will make him recognize and appreciate that even though I stay home, it is equivalent to more than one full time job.

(Oh, I also told him that since shopping for birthday presents is not cleaning, I can't go shopping for his birthday that is in November.)

No comments: