Thursday, January 26, 2006

Mud Puddles and Dandelions

I received this email the other day and I really liked it:

Mud Puddles and Dandelions

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my yard. My kids see flowers for Mom and white fluff you can wish on.

When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me, I see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look away. My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't have much rhythm so I sit self-consciously and listen. My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words. If they don't know them, they make up their own.

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk. My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.

When I pray, I say thee and thou and grant me this, give me that. My kids say, "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends. Please keep the bad dreams away tonight. Sorry, I don't want to go to Heaven yet. I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."

When I see a mud puddle I step around it. I see muddy shoes and dirty carpets. My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross, and worms to play with.

I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to learn from? No wonder God loves the little children! Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.


It was kind of interesting that I got this though. I am taking a class on contentment. The last chapter I read I had this in it:
Two women looked through prison bars
One saw mud, the other saw stars.

It made me think on how I look at life. I see mud everywhere. I often look at what I don't have instead of being thankful for what I do have. I don't want to be one of those people that breeds negativity, although I am. Most importantly, I want my kids to continue to see the positive in everything. The only way they will learn to look for the negative in everything is if we teach it to them, by example.

It amazes me how simple kids make things (even when they are being incredibly difficult!!). They have such an innocence about them and some of the things they pick up on are amazing to me!

Now when I feel negative or I feel like complaining, I think of this email and this statement from my book. You never realize how negative you feel or how much you complain until you try not too!!! I catch myself often now, but I still wonder how many times I don't catch myself!! I want a life full of mud puddles and dandelions!

I wish you Big Mud Puddles and Sunny Yellow Dandelions!!!

PS Do you think people would be offended if you said that to them, and they had not read that email? Maybe I should start saying it to people and see the different responses I get!!

No comments: