Tuesday, January 31, 2006

More Firetrucks

So today, Bryce went to Mothers Day Out. He wore his fireman costume. I sent extra clothes and shoes, in case he decided he wanted to change. I told his teacher this, and explained that if he starts complaining about his feet, it is because his boots give him blisters. When I picked him up she said that not only did he not take his costume off, when she tried to take his boots off at nap time, he started crying. She put them back on and he slept in his costume, boots and all.

After I got him, we went to pay the water bill. Our firestation is next door to the water company. Well, their had been a grass fire shortly before, and when we were going inside the water company, one of the fireman asked if I was going to bring the little fireman over to see the firetruck. I said sure, and went in to pay our bill. When we got inside, everyone stopped what they were doing and came to see Bryce. He loves the attention!!

We went to the fire department and Bryce acted really shy. They talked to him for a while and 2 of the 3 firemen were there last time a firetruck came to see him. They asked Bryce if he wanted to go for a ride. Of course he wanted to!! We went for a ride around the block, in the front seat. Bryce got to turn on the sirens, lights, honk the horn, etc. He did not honk in those short little beeps the fireman do though. If you have never been in a firetruck, the passenger side has two pedals on the floor. The one on the left honks the horn. They showed this to Bryce and he decided to see how long he could stand on the pedal. It was REALLY loud and he loved it. I finally made him get off and he went back to pushing buttons.

I have never realized how much storage those things have. There are doors EVERYWHERE including the bumpers. They utilize every inch of space in that thing. I am thinking about getting one, I think it will be a better fit for us than the suburban we have now. The guys said they were only about $150,000 used. Anyway, Bryce asked for every door to be open, one by one. They did it for him.

There was this one fireman named Daniel, that Bryce became buds with. He would take Daniel by the hand and lead him to where Bryce wanted to go. He had to see both fire engines, inside and out, and check out their uniforms, house, etc. When it was time to go, he climbed back into the firetruck and said he wanted to go for a ride. I spent about 20 minutes trying to get him to go without throwing a fit. It did not happen though. The fireman kept asking him to come back tomorrow, but Bryce did not want to wait that long.

Daniel ended up walking Bryce to the truck. Bryce still screamed for about 15 minutes. Then when he realized he was not going to win, he started asking "Ride firetruck tomorrow." Unfortuately for me and the fireman, he has not forgotten!!

What is bad is that he has gotten these "private tours" twice now, and I did not have my camera either time. When we go back tomorrow, I WILL have my camera. I will post pictures as soon as I can. The fireman took some today, but he said it will be about a month before he finishes the film. He has gotten way to spoiled. I feel like everytime he puts on his costume, firetrucks appear from nowhere!!

No comments: