Monday, January 16, 2006

Education?

Sometimes I would love to be a fly on the wall of Caleb's school. Some of the things I hear from him.... He was reminding yesterday that he does not have school today. He said the reason he does not have school is because the teachers are celebrating a man that got shot. I asked what else he knew about this "man" that got shot. He said that is all he was told.

Also, tomorrow Caleb has a program at school. He also has basketball practice that night. I told him he could choose which he wanted to do because he absolutely hates singing in front of a crowd. He decided he wanted to go to basketball practice because "he chose to play that, and he has a team" (that was what he said). I told him that was fine, but he needed to let his teacher know.

He came home the next day upset saying he HAD to do the program. I asked why and he said that his teacher said that basketball is not important and that he needed to be there. How dare a teacher tell a child what is or is not important to that child. I told Caleb the choice was his and that if basketball was important to him, not to let anyone tell him otherwise. I also explained that he does have a team that counts on him. He responded with, "well, I am not doing anything in the program but singing with the group of first graders. I don't sing by myself or anything."

I can understand a teacher wanting the children to be there, and I would love for Caleb to do it, but Caleb needs to start making decisions on his own. If I make him go to the program he is going to stand up on the stage and pout and not participate. AND, he could definently use the help with basketball!

No comments: