Tuesday, January 26, 2010

By Golly I Think We Got It!!

Andrew started asking to sit on the potty since he was a year old. I let him whenever he would ask, but never really pushed it because it was more of a "everyone in this house uses a potty...I should sit on one too" type of thing. Then when he was a little over two, I started to get serious about him using the potty and he, for the most part, wanted NOTHING to do with it. Until lately.

He has been peeing in the potty for a couple of weeks now. But, until recently would not attempt to poop in the potty. For a LONG time now if you asked him where you go poop or pee he would say the potty, but he would not follow up with it.

Then Spike came along. Spike was supposed to be a birthday present (AJ wanted it for Christmas and didnt get it. Then after Christmas he was clearanced and more than half off). His brothers showed him the box (which was kinda hidden to where he wouldn't find it) and I have heard about Spike everyday since.

So, I made a "deal" (call it a bribe - whatever. If it works....) with him. I told him if he would start pooping in the potty ALL. THE. TIME. he could have the dinosaur. Otherwise, he had to wait until his birthday.

Now, he is two still. That is a pretty hefty deal and I didn't know how much he really understood it. BUT, he pooped in the potty. He asked for Spike, I again explained that he had to be out of Pullups before he could have Spike. We had this conversation a couple of times and he stopped asking for Spike and asked for "big boy treats". He would still say "I poopie in big boy potty so I have P-Rex, so I guess he was starting to understand.

He periodically still has stomach issues when he has lactose and lately he has been. Amazingly, he has been able to tell us he needed to go potty most of the time and has been making it on time. There have been a couple of accidents, but overall he has been doing great.

He has gone with Dad several times the last couple of weeks to run an errand or two wearing underwear with no accidents. He is either telling me he needs to potty (pee or poop) as he is walking to the bathroom or he just goes and then I hear him yell with excitement that he has pottied. He has been waking up from naps dry and frequently wakes up in the mornings dry (although he is still in Pullups at night).

I think today he is going to get Spike. He has been doing SUCH an awesome job and I am so proud of him, so I think it is time to reward him.

FOUR DOWN AND ONE TO GO!! I hear girls are easier. But NOTHING has been easier with Madeleine, so I am going to mentally prepare myself for the potty training challange of my life. I will NOT go in with the attitude that I am a potty training master (after potty training four boys) because I am pretty certain she will not let it be easy!

No comments: