Tuesday, September 23, 2008

When Did This Happen?

I remember I was so excited at the idea of having one kid at home, still young and taking good long naps. The thought of being able to get SO much done during the day and still having time to play with Andrew, and be prepared when the kids got home from school to sit down and talk with them about their day and work on homework with them.

It was a great plan I had!!

But, we all know what happens when I plan!

Andrew did good with those GREAT four hour naps...for about a week and a half. It is over now. Now, it takes forever to get him to take a nap (or go to bed at night for that matter). He beats his headboard against the wall. He beats his feet against the wall. He beats his HEAD against the wall. I hear him turn into Mozart on his LeapFrog piano. He gets up and beats his ENTIRE body against his door. I tried to go tuck him back in, I tried to lay down with him. Really, the only thing that works is to let him beat the wall with everything, practice his piano and beat the door until he finally gives up and goes to his bed and falls asleep.

I am now really lucky if he sleeps for two hours. I SHOULD sleep or relax during that time, but OH the state of my house!!! I try and try to get this house clean and settled, but I feel like for every one step forward I take two steps back. I spend the day taking the phone from Andrew over and over. Getting him out of drawers - ALL THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE. He pulls everything out of the kitchen cabinets, drawers, the coffee table (he loves remotes), the bookshelves. He climbs on the couch and jumps up and down. He climbs on the table and jumps up and down. He chases the cat until the cat turns on him! Then he goes for the dogfood. Then it is back to the phone.

When did my SEVENTEEN month old turn into a toddler starting his terrible twos?

Just typing my typical day with him is exhausting.

Now I know why my house STAYS in its current state! :)

But, he is SO CUTE and sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, technically he is in his 2nd year!! Mother's Day Out??? Love, Mom