Monday, September 15, 2008

Favorite Vacation Spot....Gone

Paul and my favorite vacation ever was when we went to Port Bolivar/Crystal Beach many many years ago. We went with my parents, grandmother, uncle and my cousin, LeAn and her family. It was the first time we met LeAn, Shaw and Dalton, and it was one of the last times I saw my Uncle before he passed away.

We stayed in a beach house and although we were there with a huge part of family, we spent a lot of time just Paul and I and Caleb (he was the only one we had at the time!!). We had a blast. It was Caleb's first trip to the beach.

If you haven't heard, it all but got wiped off the map from Ike. This picture might give you an idea of what it looks like now:


Mom says that Gilchrist is the end of the peninsula with the newer houses.

It apparently took a direct hit from Ike's 110mph winds. It amazes me that you can see that COMPLETE devestation, yet there is one house standing (which LOOKS unharmed but I am sure there is water damage, among other damage). This picture is Gilchrist on Bolivar Penninsula. The article I read said Crystal Beach was an even grimmer sight.

This is a video taken by the Coast Guard of Crystal Beach after Ike:


And another video of Crystal Beach by 129th Rescue Wing:

No comments: