Thursday, November 08, 2007

An Explanation

I guess I need to do a little explaining about the last post. I can't believe I had not put this on here!!

When we went to Texas to see Walking with Dinosaurs show, we went to Paul's great aunts house first to visit. We have always let the boys play in her BIG backyard. There are pecans to pick up and trees to climb. It is fenced and we have never had any problems.

Well, we sit in the kitchen and talk and keep an eye on them. Paul looked out the window and the boys were in the alley behind her house. They have NEVER left the yard before. Not only were they in the alley, they were talking to an old man with a dog.

Paul went running out to them. He got onto the boys and sent them in the house. He talked to the man for a couple of minutes and then came in. We talked to ALL of the boys about not talking to strangers. We thought they had got it and allowed them to go back outside.

A few minutes later, Paul went out to check on them again and two of the boys were in the mans backyard, the third was in the alley.

Bryce just kept saying "he wasn't a stranger I knew HIS name AND his DOGS name.

This has defienently been an eye opener. We talk about "stranger danger" ALL the time. We talked about different circumstances where they may be asked into a car or to go with someone they don't know. WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT JUST BECAUSE WE KNOW SOMEONES NAME DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE NOT A STRANGER!

I am going to try to get a police man to talk to them, but I am not sure if anything, short of having him kidnapped, is going to work! I don't want to scar him for life, but I would rather have a controlled kidnap then a stranger take him.

So, this is why the sneaking out the window is so scarey - other than the OBVIOUS reasons!

No comments: