Monday, May 04, 2009

What's In a Name: Madeleine Elizabeth

It came to my attention that I never explained the reason for the change in the spelling of Mady's name. We had looked at Madeline and Madelyn. We discussed that we both like Madeline better, but thought that people might question the pronunciation.

We had decided on Madeline anyway.

Right after I had her, the nurses were asking her name. We ended up getting into a conversation with the nurses about the spelling, pronunciation, etc. When we got to our room and I was trying to post her arrival, I asked Paul if we were sure about the spelling we chose. He said he wanted to research it first.

While he was researching he found a third spelling. Madeleine is the french/cajun way of spelling it. We figured since she was born in Louisiana, we would choose this spelling. The name stuck with me the first time I saw it when we were choosing names, and the spelling was the same.

The funniest part is that Paul had commented a couple of times that he did not want a spelling for her that would be hard for people. People who don't know me never spell my name right. Then he chooses a spelling that is different. We already have had to correct people.

I have since found LOTS of spellings of her name, but would not have changed it from what we chose.

Elizabeth, for those who don't know, is my middle name. Daddy has wanted to use it since we were pregnant the first time.

No comments: