Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Unfair Lifes of My Children

Isaac and Bryce were fighting over a red truck and trailer that Bryce stole from Isaac, but really Isaac stole from Bryce, but REALLY it was neither one of theirs and they had been playing with it together.

I took the truck and explained if we were not going to get along with it and we could not agree who had it first, it would be put away.

A few hours later, all the kids were in a bedroom playing. Isaac comes out to the kitchen where I was. "I forgot you threw away the red truck and trailer that Bryce took from me and you took from him." It was as if I had perpetrated a grave injusice to him by taking the truck. I had spent all day planning on how and when I was going to take this truck (truthfully I guess I could have...I had to know there would be a fight about SOMETHING). It is not as if they don't have 500 trucks and cars to play with, but I had ruined his life, or day anyway, because I took this particular truck.

This past week the oldest two have worn me out with the continuous argueing, bickering and fighting. I start hearing it before they even come out of their room in the morning and continue to hear it LONG after they are sent to bed. I have decided that they REALLY like their rooms because when they can't get along, or at least ignore each other, that is where they get to go...and they have spent a LOT of time in there this week.

I know this is part of their learning. I know my siblings and I were the same way. I know how my parents felt. Guess what....KNOWING ALL OF THAT DOESN'T MAKE LISTENING TO IT ANY LESS ANNOYING!!!

We have talked a lot about the very boring summer they are going to have if they cannot get along because I refuse to take them out if they can't get along at home. Every night I remind them of this, every morning I wake up to their argueing. This morning I had planned on taking them to see the 3D movie UP. That didn't happen. They keep coming and asking me "if we behave will you get us...." or "if we behave can we go..." I refuse to bribe them to behave. I tell them this everytime they ask. You behave because you are supposed to behave. WHEN you behave I am very likely to want to go do fun things. When you don't behave I guarantee you I will not want to go anywhere!

So, we are going to "enjoy" our summer of doing chores and being in our rooms, because that is apparently SOOOOOO much more fun that movies, zoos, museums, parks, etc.

By the way, when you are out and about, could you keep your eyes open for my sanity? I seem to have lost it somewhere in the last week!

At what point do I start giving them the "If life was fair" speech?

No comments: