Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Beware: Raging Lion Ahead

Mama Lion, that is...

A protective, unhappy Mama Lion.

Caleb got beat up today at school....BY A GIRL. In fifth grade.

He came home upset. I kept asking what was wrong, he kept saying nothing. When we got home, he came up and told me he got beat up. He explained that some fifth graders came up to him and a friend of his and started making fun of him, calling him small and stupid. They kept grabbing his arms when he tried to walk away. Apparently, one of the times he pulled his arm away and he must have scratched someone and they started bleeding. He got kicked in his face (both sides) and in his "WRONG spot."

I asked if any teachers were told. He said he did not tell any because the fifth graders went and told a teacher lies about him. I told him tomorrow to go talk to HIS teacher and tell her what happened. I was going to see if he would work it out by himself. Then, as I sat there for a few minutes, I got REALLY mad! I am not going to let him get bullied, even if he won't say anything (and he probably wouldn't). He is embarrassed that it was a girl that did it and is upset that lies were being told about him and he was being teased. We went back to the school.

Caleb's teacher saw me walk in. I was telling the secretary's that I needed to speak with the principal. They told me he had left for a drs appt and I explained what was going on. Then the principal walked in. We went into his office and Caleb's teacher came in also. She told us that another teacher told her that some fifth graders said he was trying to kiss a girl and too many kids got involved and it got out of hand.

After she told what she had heard, she left. I told Caleb to tell the principal his side. He did. The principal and I explained that if he is leaving ANYTHING out, he needed to let us know, now. He said he didn't know anything else. He was able to give some names of people involoved and around when it happened. The principal said if he remembered anything else to write it down tonight and give it to him tomorrow.

When we got back home, we were again discussing how important it is that he tells us EVERYTHING. A few minutes later he came in to me and said that one girl might not say the same thing he did. I asked why. He said that this kid named Andrew was telling him to kiss a girl (Caleb's friends sister, who had been playing with Caleb and her little brother). She is in fifth grade. Caleb kept telling Andrew no, but Andrew went and told the other fifth graders that Caleb said he was going to kiss her. That is when the other kids came over.

The girl that beat him up kept pushing or pulling him and making him fall. One of the times he fell she started kicking him in the face. This girl was NOT the girl that the kid was saying Caleb was going to kiss. Just someone who took it upon herself.

This is Caleb's side only, obviously. Caleb knows that I find out the truth one way or the other and he gets in more trouble lying. I have no reason NOT to believe him. Whether he DID say he was going to kiss her or not, NOONE has ANY right to put a hand on anyone - especially a fifth grader on a third grader!

The principal told Caleb that she was definently in the wrong for hitting and kicking him, no matter what happened, but that he would talk to the other kids individually tomorrow, and then talk to Caleb and the other girl together.

IF Caleb did something, I expect him to be punished by the principal. Either way, the other girl needs to be! There is just no reason she should have touched him - especially if she really wasn't involved with the supposed kiss.

They are doing benchmark test this week, so principal said it would be tomorrow afternoon before he could do anything. If this is not straightened out by the end of the week (and that is being generous), I will be up there raising .....

I will let you know as the elementary school drama unfolds!

The pictures are not great - this is just ANOTHER example of why I need a better camera!


No comments: