Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Prayer In School

Caleb was upset this afternoon after school. He came into the kitchen before basketball practice and said that he was not allowed to pray at school. I asked what he was talking about. Apparantly, before their Valentine party he said a silent prayer before they had their ice cream sundaes. After he said a silent prayer, he asked his teacher if he could say a prayer - out loud. He was told he is not allowed to pray at school. I talked to him on the way to basketball and told him how proud I was of him for trying to pray. I also told him to stand up for what he believes in. I said that if he was told he could not pray, to bow his head and pray, but not to let someone tell him what he can and cannot believe in. He is not forcing anyone to join in, but if he feels like praying, he should not be told he can't.
They should of at least informed him that he could pray silently, but not out loud. I can not guarantee that they did not tell him that, but as upset as he was, I am fairly certain they didn't.
I am just so tired of our kids being told what they can and cannot believe in. Instead of just saying "no, you can't pray," why can't they give the children another option.

No comments: