Thursday, December 06, 2007

Volunteering...with Kids!!

Andrew enjoyed my wrapping gifts today!!

I wrapped 55 presents today! Thank you Bryce for helping me out with the little kids and letting me do this today! You were awesome!

Our church has a Food Pantry for needy families. Every month they give food to families who can't afford to get their own. Every year at Christmas they do a full Christmas lunch. There is always a HUGE response. This year (Saturday) they are doing the lunch, but EVERY child that comes is getting a game and a personal hygeine packet. We had 55 presents left to wrap this morning. I went and picked some of them up - not knowing how much I could really get done with three kids 4 and under with me. Thanks to Bryce's cooperation (and Andrew's LONG naps) I was able to contribute by wrapping the presents.

I have taken the kids with me to work the Food Pantry. They are put to work, too, when we go. They help unpack food and then put the food into boxes to hand out. It is a GREAT experience for them. They, especially Caleb, really learned a lot about how good they have it and how not everyone has as much as they do.

Last year, I volunteered at the Christmas lunch. I learned so much! We catered to everyone. We fixed their plates, we fixed their drinks, we gave refills, we gave seconds and thirds and fixed plates to take home. We gave these families one day of GOOD food, laughter and a small chance to forget their problems. I was half way through my pregnancy when I did this - and spent the day running, transporting food, waiting on a gym FULL of people. I never once thought about my problems, my aches and pains. I also never felt like I was doing enough. I could have gone all day! The smiles on these peoples faces - ESPECIALLY the children made it all worth it!

It is amazing what you can learn if you just slow down and take time out of your life to help others. I loved taking my kids and watching them learn through the experience. If you ever have a chance to volunteer with your kids, JUMP AT THE CHANCE! Go with your eyes wide open, and your heart. Watch you kids get excited about helping others. But most importantly - learn by watching your kids learn. It is amazing

Unfortunately, I can't go this year. I do not feel right going with the amount of colds, ear infections, pnemonia, etc., that we have going through our house right now. I don't think these families need that! I wish I could do MORE than wrap presents, but that is what I can contribute this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! And to think that in Junior High School you wore a skirt with a Neiman Marcus label hanging out just to impress friends...How much have YOU grown? Congrats, I love you, MOM