Friday, December 21, 2007

Isaac's Birthday

I know I am a day late, but yesterday was a pretty crazy day. I spent the day trying to finish errands so we did not have to get out in the last-minute shopping crowd - not even for groceries! We had actually already celebrated him birthday, but I had picked up some small cupcakes and we had those last night and sang Happy Birthday to him.

I was going to take cupcakes to the school yesterday for their snacktime. I called the school to leave a message for the teacher. I was telling the secretary that I was needing his teacher to call me and tell me what time they had snack so I could bring the cupcakes. She told me I was not allowed to bring cupcakes. She said it was a federal law that they can only have sweets on certain days of the year and that since they were having a party tomorrow (today) I could not bring sweets for his birthday!

Since I had already told him I was going to bring them before I talked to the secretary - Andrew, Bryce, Lilah and I went and had lunch with him. I did not want him to think I had forgotten about him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would certainly like to know the name of the federal law that says cupcakes can only be eaten at school on certain days of the year. Aunt Lindsay do you know anything about this law? Just curious. G/ma

Anonymous said...

The state Board of Education in 2005 approved new nutrition guidelines for public schools. The regulations required more nutritious meals and limited the availability of sugary drinks and candy in school vending machines. It also prohibited schools from giving sweets as classroom reward. Many school districts in Arkansas banned all sweets in any form as a result. There has recently been a small amendment that allows a little candy as a reward.
I don't know the details. In addition, there are federal directives to improve obesity in school children. Aunt Lindsay