Wednesday, December 19, 2007

AJ Goes to the Hospital

Andrew went to the hospital this morning for his scope. He ate last at 9:30 Tuesday night and the procedure was not until 8 (actually it didn't happen until 8:30). He was great, as normal. He talked and flirted with the nurses and we played until he finally passed out in my arms. After all of the drs, etc. had come in and talked with me, the nurse had me carry him to the room they were doing the procedure in. I layed him down and went to the waiting room.

After the procedure they took us to a consult room where the dr came in and told us what she found. She took four different pictures of the scope (they went down his esophagus, stomach and part of his small intestines. She did find something that concerned her. This is a picture of some irritation on his stomach lining:
She said it could be because he has not had his Prevacid this week or it could be from an allergy or something like that. They are doing a biopsy on it and we should know something on the 2nd or 3rd. (I left the other three pictures off - I know they are not that lovely to look at!)

She talked about some future plans of action, if the biopsy comes back showing that the irritation is just from not having his Prevacid. Number one, she will change him to Pediasure. I am not sure if we would go off formula and on to Pediasure or just ADD pediasure. Hopefully we would just add it, otherwise it will cost me about $10 a DAY to feed him just that!

The other thing is she said something about having a surgeon look at his films from his upper gi we had a while back. She is still a little concerned about that ligament that might have been in the wrong place. She said that even though they watched it and it seemed to be fine, it could be causing problems that they did not catch. If the surgeon feels that it is necessary, it might mean a laparoscopic surgery to go in and get a closer look at the ligament and fix it if necessary. Worst case - he might eventually have to have his stomach completely opened up!

Of course, we will just wait and see what the biopsy shows and hope for the best!

Here are a couple of pictures of him before the procedure. Still smiling!!!


The nurses said he laughed himself back to sleep before the procedure and woke up with a smile after. While in recovery he had nurses all around him - and he LOVED it. There was some MAJOR flirting going on in there! He got a little fussy when he tried to take his bottle because his throat was sore (a breathing tube and scope tend to do that to the best of us!). A little Tylenol cured that and he has been happy since.

When they were getting him prepped one of the nurses told me to get some of the caps that volunteers made. I got one, and she started digging through the bag and told me I had to take more than one. I stopped her at four!!

Then as we were leaving Bryce was given one!

As we were leaving the surgery area, a male nurse walked me out and carried my diaper bag. He said he was kind of uncomfortable carrying one of "these" then looked at Andrew and said that if he was guaranteed to have one like Andrew, he would have one today. I told him it took four tries to get one this calm and quiet. I am not sure if I encouraged him or discouraged him. He wasn't too sure of the 1 in 4 odds!!

As we were walking out of the hospital the nurse that took him to the procedure room stopped us. She remembered Andrew's name and was telling us how great he did and how sweet he was. Everyone was asking if they could take him home.

I hope he is not just soaking it all in and one day we wake up to a WILD MAN!! I love that he is so calm and quiet and easy! I guess I can always read back on these and remember when...

As for now, Andrew seems fine. He has been eating and playing with no problems!

No comments: