Friday, August 14, 2009

Donor

I was at the store with all the kids before school started. While we were checking out, I had my wallet open and Bryce was looking at my license (yes, the one where I am eight months pregnant!). He asked what the red heart meant. I told him it meant that I was a donor. He asked what a donor was. I explained that if something happened to me, I wanted my heart and other organs donated to someone else.

Caleb heard what I was saying and said "That's gross!" I explained that if it came to life or death, you needed a heart (or lung or kidney, etc), you would probably get over the grossness of it to live. He says "I will just get a plastic heart or kidney or lung!"

At this point, the cashier is giggling quietly.

"They don't have plastic hearts or lungs or kidneys. You either take the gift that someone left behind when they died or you die too."

"I think I would rather just die!" was Caleb's response with a disgusted face.

It made me sad to hear, but I know he is young and doesn't really understand. I can understand why he would think it was gross to have someone else's heart or whatever else, in you, but....

I hope he never has to learn first hand what a gift it is!

No comments: