Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dentist Appointments

Caleb, Isaac and Andrew had dentist appointments today.

Caleb and Isaac were going in for work, Andrew for his first check-up.

Caleb was very dramatic, as normal. Isaac said we were almost at the office and I hear Caleb in the back of the car "could we just quit talking about it? I don't want to think about it!" He was very nervous and a little annoying. He went back to see the dentist after Isaac, so he had some time to sit and stress about it. They numbed both sides of his mouth and did his fillings. He said the shots (to numb his mouth) hurt. He had a hard time talking because his mouth was numb. On the way home he was in the back and says "Mom, I punched myself in the face and could not feel it." I am not going to TOUCH that! I just told him he would feel it later when the meds wore off.

Isaac got half his face numbed. They did two caps and a couple of fillings. His cheek was swollen, and he had his funny half face smile. He did great though. He was not at all worried about it and he wanted to eat real food for dinner (right after the dentist).

This was AJ's first visit. I knew they probably would not do much with him but because he sucks his thumb and still takes a bottle at bedtime (the ABSOLUTE worst time to take a bottle), I want to stay on top of things with him. It is strange to me because the boys were all completely off the bottle by one, two of them much earlier. We could have Andrew off the bottle. The problem is that the only way he will take his formula is in a bottle. The only time he will take a bottle is at bedtime. He HAS to stay on the formula for a while because he is getting so many calories and we are still watching his weight. It is a vicious cycle! The dentist was not happy that he takes a bottle to bed and wants me to go in after he falls asleep and brush his teeth (hmmmmmmmmm....sounds great in theory, but...). I will continue to try to get him to take the formula from a cup and not at bedtime, but I feel like if I make one dr happy it makes another unhappy, so forget them all?

He is considered high risk for tooth decay because of the bottle. She said if we saw any signs of any spots to take him in to see her. For now his teeth look good. She said he must take a pacifier because of his bite. I told her he sucks his thumb - another habit we have tried to end but it makes it worse. I must say - he is the first that I have had these problems with so it is all new to me! She also said he is a little delayed in getting his teeth. I told her what he has he got really early (four or five months old) but he got the eight and then quit teething. He has had two come in this week and she said he has one in the back breaking through.

No comments: