Thursday, March 16, 2006

Boys and Their Toys

Sadly, I think the older they get, the worse it gets. This is about my oldest, Paul (aka my husband). Paul is going camping this weekend with some friends. I agreed to this before finding out that he was going to spend most of this week out of town for work, but knowing that Spring Break starts for the kids.

So his trip for work was supposed to be Tuesday-Thursday, but he got home about 11 last night instead. He went to work today after having breakfast with us. At lunch, Bryce and I went in and went to the sport store to find a chair to take with him. When I was leaving after lunch I asked Paul if he would be home before soccer started. He said probably not, because he had some long meeting this afternoon. I said okay, just come to the soccer field and get Caleb and Bryce on your way home.

I talked to him at about 4:50 this afternoon, right before I left for soccer. When we were hanging up, I reminded him to come get the boys. He said okay and hung up. Little did I know, he was leaving to go to another sport store with one of the guys he is going with this weekend - but this store is the opposite direction from home!

At about 5:45, I started getting a little irritated because he had not shown up at the soccer field. I was getting more and more frustrated when finally at 6:20, he shows up. He came up, grinning, because he knew he was in trouble. I asked where he had been and he said it was a long story. Here it is:

Bill talked me into going to Gander Mountain with him. We left in plenty of time to be here by 5:30. On the way home though, I ran out of gas on the side of the interstate. Basically, I had to sit on the side of the road until a guy in a Jeep pulled over and asked if I needed help. He took me to get gas and brought me back to my Jeep. (Luckily the Jeepers are a tight knit community!!)

I asked him why, if he was done early, he did not come home so I did not have to take all of the kids. He says he did not lie about going because I did not specifically ask if he was going - like I am supposed to know to ask that. Isn't that still a lie of omission? And isn't a lie a lie?

I say that is what he gets!! If I am nice enough to let him go out for a weekend when our weekends are so crazy with all of the kids activities, then he could have helped me out! Dishonesty has its consequences - and apparantly his consequence today was being stuck on the side of the interstate during rush hour!

I had to post this, because the last thing he said to me this morning was "I have to get gas, I am completely empty." If I were to ever run out of gas, I would never hear the end of it from him! That road goes two ways!!

I love you sweetie!!! Have fun this weekend - I am sure it will be a weekend I never let you forget!

No comments: