Monday, February 01, 2010

Sick Kids

Last night was a BAD night! I went to bed at my normal 10 and Mads was screaming by 10:45. Daddy got up and went in and she continued to scream. So, I went in her room and rocked her for a bit. She was burning up (104.5)! She was also breathing very loud and heavy.

We finally got her fever down, but there was not much sleeping to be had. She was in our bed rolling all over, sitting up and throwing herself back down, etc. It was obvious she was not comfortable.

This morning I called the dr as soon as they opened. Of course our normal dr was not in, which sucked because I knew with him I could bring in both sick kids and he would take care of both of them without having to make two appointments (and paying two copays). That did not exactly happen.

The dr said her ears and throat looked perfect, but her lungs sounded bad. She ordered some blood work to see if she had a viral or bacterial infection. They did a thumb prick, which did not go over to great! The machine was down, so we ended up leaving with no results.

The dr called this afternoon and told us that they ran the bloodtest and she did have a bacterial infection of some sort. She told us to start her on antibiotics. I asked her if she thought Isaac had the same thing. We had discussed all of his symptoms and fever, but she did not look at him at all. She said he probably did, but to give him another day and see if he can shake it on his own. I asked her if I could just call and get a prescription for him if it didn't go away and she said that they don't give antibiotic prescriptions without "looking" at the child.

I don't know that the best thing to do is let him run a fever for another day to see if he can kick it on his own. He would end up missing an entire week of school and that is the last thing he needs right now. I think we are going to go see our normal dr tomorrow (hopefully) and try to get this under control. I really don't think I should have to bring five kids in for the same thing as this passes through the house!

One thing that was kind of funny. I mentioned to the dr that we had not had sick kids since March of 2008. She says "Mady is nine months old and hasn't been sick at all? You must homeschool." She was REALLY amazed when I told her I had three in public schools!

She has NO idea how amazing it really is!!

Isaac has been sleeping for the past three days, pretty much around the clock. Caleb came home today from school and complained about a headache and went to bed for about an hour, until bedtime.

No comments: