Saturday, February 27, 2010

LOOK OUT - Here Comes the Torturous Threes!!

Let's just say we are nearing the end of the Terrible Twos and making a magnifacent entrance into the Torturous Threes! I have always said threes are worse than twos...and Andrew is out to prove me right (which is amazing because the kids normally try to prove me wrong). I have to appreciate the work and dedication he puts into it, though (note the sarcasm).

"Andrew, get out of that." "NO, I DON'T WANT TO GET OUT OF THAT!"

"Andrew, we don't hit our big brother over the head with a big wooden board...or anything else." "I WANT TO HIT MY BIG BROTHER OVER THE HEAD WITH A WOOD!"
(yes, he actually did that!)

This is how the majority of our conversations go lately. I have never looked forward and LOVED napped time with him as much as I am right now (of course, this is also when he has decided naps are for the weak and he is NOT weak!). Just a small amount of time where everything I say is not followed by "NO! I don't want to....(repeat whatever Mom said)!!"

OHHHH....and can he ever push his brothers buttons. Everything they have let him get away with in the past they are now annoyed by. The cuteness has worn off, and he knows it but just LOVES to make is brothers scream at him, then he screams back, and it is loud and nasty until Mom can't stand it anymore!

We turned door knobs to bedrooms around because he LOVED to lock doors (he also loves to slam doors over and over) with him on the outside of the door and no one on the inside, except maybe his baby sister. I am a pro at taking door knobs off....I think I could do it in less than 30 seconds. Now his thing is to wait until his brothers are in their rooms and then go lock them IN! Of course, I know nothing about it until kids are beating doors down wanting out!

I do have to say though, when it comes to temper tantrums.....his about to be seven year old brother has him WAY beat on that. I think he has mastered the "art" of temper tantrums. If it wasn't so annoying I would be in awe of him. But, since he throws them VERY frequently - like anytime he has to do something he doesn't want to - well, let's just say the awe is gone!

Although this stage is a very trying stage, it is also a very fun stage of exploration and learning. It is so fun to watch him figure things our for himself and then see how proud he is of his accomplishments! Everything is a learning oppurtunity!

Here is to hoping that the drama I am preparing myself for having a GIRL going through the terrible twos and torturous threes is all for nothing. I am expecting it to be BAD, especially since she has had the Drama Queen routine down since before birth! Maybe a lot like her brothers, but with lots of tears and poochy lips and going to Daddy to get her way.

No comments: