Sunday, September 25, 2005

Hurricane Rita

I sat through a tropical storm last night (what was left of Rita). I don't know how anyone would sit through a hurricane!! It got pretty scary at some points yesterday, especially last night. I had to drive Paul to his office at 9:30 last night so he could go down to Texas to the refineries in the path of the hurricane. It was raining pretty hard, but what was worse than the rain was the winds! His office is about 20 miles from our house and I think we saw about 4 cars that had gone off the road - and that was in a 5 mile stretch! I hate driving in the rain, and was not looking forward to driving home. When I got home my muscles hurt from being so tense driving! We got home about 10:15 and went to bed. Somewhere between then and midnight the electricity went out. I talked to Paul at about 4:30 am and he said he drove through town on his way to Texas and the whole town was black! There are downed trees in the neighborhood and a basketball net (the kind that you fill the base with sand) was blown over and several houses down. The roads are covered in tree limbs and leaves. There was at least on tornado that touched down, but not here, thank goodness! Luckily there was not much in the way of thundering and lightening, which is what the boys are scared of! That is as close to a hurricane as I ever care to come in contact with!!

No comments: