Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Young Leader

Caleb was nominated by his teacher and counselor to represent his school and the state of Louisiana at the Junior National Young Leaders Conference in Washington D.C. this summer.

This is what the beginning of the letter reads:

Caleb was nominated by his teacher, who recognized him as one of a select group of students with the scholastic merit, maturity and strength of character to represent (his school) at this unique leadership program for exceptional 5th and 6th graders. On behalf of the members of the United States Congress who serve on our Honorary Congressional Board of Advisors, I congratulate you on Caleb's achievements. You must be very proud.

In addition to meeting the significant academic requirements that are our first consideration in choosing scholars. we have been told that Caleb has the strength of character and leadership ability that will allow him to get the most out of this unparalleled opportunity.....

Some of the places he would get to visit include:
National Museum of American History
Lincoln, Vietnam Veterans, and Korean War Veterans Memorial
VIP view of the historic city
Harpers Ferry
the White House
a sleepover at the Maryland Science Center


Caleb has asked us several times to take him to D.C. He has specifically asked to go to several of the above mentioned places. This would be such an awesome trip for him! Not only would he get to visit many awesome historical places, but he would learn how to put his leadership skills to good use. He has always been a leader, unfortunately, at this point, he uses the skills poorly (telling his brothers to do things that will get them in trouble, etc).

However, there is a downside too. First off (and most importantly), they give you until mid-May to come up with $2000 for the trip AND we have to buy airline tickets. On top of that, any spending money he would need (snacks, lunch on the two days he travels there and home, souveniers - who can go to all of those places and NOT buy souveniers, etc).

Secondly, it would be REALLY hard on Mom. I would not let that hold HIM back, but hte thought of my baby (YES, I know he is no longer a baby, but he will always be MY baby) going so far away without one of his parents....

I know I have to give him the space to become the young man he is becoming. I know I have too loosen my grip, but I DON'T WANNA (insert temper tantrum....hands and feet hitting the floor, thrashing around, etc)

I talked to his teacher and she is trying to find out about scholarships (you can get them through the conference, but they are not available yet. She is looking into the criteria for them and seeing about getting a letter of recommendation from the school). Whether he goes or not, it is an honor for him to be nominated and for his hard work to be recognized! I am keeping my fingers crossed for him that we can make this work!

I am so proud of all he has done and I hope he continues down the path he has been on and works hard. If he keeps his goal in sight (which has been Harvard for a couple of years now) he can make it very far in life. He is getting to a place in school where all of his hard work starts getting recognized and rewarded.

The same day I got this letter in the mail, he came home shortly after I read it and gave me a letter saying that Junior High registration is this week (tomorrow).

It was a HARD week to be a Mom!! I am learning just how hard it is to watch your little boy turn in to a young man. For some reason, I don't think this is something that will get easier with each child, though.

No comments: