Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Injured Mom

I have taken for granted having ten fingers to use to wrangle kids, while also grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. I have been reminded.

I was breaking up the 500th arguement between Bryce and Andrew last night and trying to get them to go to bed. While trying to end it and making some grand and important point I am sure, I flung my hand back behind me and hit the door.

Me, being me, I couldn't hit the front or back of the door so it would simply open or close. I had two inches to hit a different part of the door. Out of a WHOLE door....I found the two inches. I hit the edge of the door. So the door did not open when I hit it and it did not close. In fact, it did not move AT ALL!

It did, however, bend my ring finger on my left hand back.

I quickly left the room (and shut the door) because I could not guarantee what might ocme out of my mouth in the next few minutes. When the colored spots faded away, I was done jumping up and down, screaming and mumbling profanities under my breath, I realized I could not bed my finger.

Since I was home alone and trying to deal with two constantly argueing kids, and a very unhappy little girl, I did not have time for a non-bending finger, so I tried to block out the throbbing finger and continue with what I needed to do.

I probably should have gotten out the frozen peas instead!!

I took some tylenol before bed, it did not do a whole lot. My finger was swollen and still throbbing. Luckily, right after it happened I took off my wedding ring. I don't know why I did it, other than my finger just REALLY hurt! If I hadn't taken off the ring, well let's jsut say that I could not get the ring to my first knuckle this morning!

This morning it was still swollen, the back of my middle knuckle is purple and there is a little discoloration on the top of my knuckle. I don't like taking two kids to the pediatricians office, so the thought of taking two kids to the dr for me (who would be a new patient whereever I ended up) just didn't even cross my mind. Until my husband told me I needed to go.

I didn't though. Instead, when I went to meet him for lunch, the sweet nurse that works at the plant looked at it. She said it looks like I probably pulled a tendon and if it doesn't start looking better by tomorrow I should see a dr.

Now, excuse me please while my splinted finger and I go figure out a story. I can NOT tell the kids I hurt my hand while getting on to them. If I did, from now on everytime I get on to them I would hear "Mom, you better not get on to us, you might hurt yourself!" Sadly, they would probably be right.

The nurse DID say (in front of Paul) that I needed a week off to rest my finger. I LOVE her....she is the best nurse ever!!

No comments: