Monday, May 15, 2006

School Saga

Sorry to those of you who look to this page for entertainment while you are supposed to be working!! Things are crazy with only 3 weeks left of school. I don't know why they do nothing all year and then they try to cram everything in the last month of school!!! I will dedicate this morning to trying to catch things up - as long as Bryce allows!

Okay - I thought I had already put this on, but I guess not. If you recal, at Valentines Day, Caleb asked if he could pray before their party. He was told he was not allowed to pray (not that he could not pray at school - he could not pray). Well, a couple of weeks ago - Caleb got in the car from school and said "Mom, I know when I die, before I go to heaven I will turn into a cow, but only if I am good." "WHAT?" I asked shocked. He repeated the same thing. "Who told you that?" We learned it in school while we were learning about India."
Now, I have a real problem with the fact that the school is not allowed to talk about Christianity, but we are going to teach our kids about hinduism. First grade is not the time for that! These kids are trying to figure out their own values and beliefs. They are not allowed to discuss their beliefs and work through their questions, but we are going to cloud their head with other religions? Where is our country going?

I was fuming - as you can imagine. I was going to go talk to the principal, and still may, but I was cooled off last week when Caleb came home and told me this. He takes books from home to school to read because he always gets done with his work so fast. Well last week he was taking a childrens storybook Bible. The teacher lets the kids get in front of the class and read books to the class. Caleb was allowed to read from his Bible all week.

I know I can't do a whole lot to change the laws regarding religion and schools, but I think there is a line that is being crossed. There have been many things that I have happened that I have wanted to talk to the principal about, but Caleb is going to be at this school, hopefully throughout his school years, and I don't want him to be punished or looked at as a trouble child because I am in the office complaining all the time. Instead when Caleb comes home we discuss things that happened at school. I hope and pray that the kids going to church and what they learn at home is enough to get them through school. It is like I have to deprogram him from school everyday and remind him of his values.

I just wish that the teachers would watch how they phrase things. I don't think they are out to sabotage the kids, but I also don't think they think about how literal the kids take things at that age - or my kid anyway! I know it must be frustrating to many of the teachers who cannot encourage their own beliefs. The school saga continues...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»