Wednesday, December 08, 2010

When Safety Precautions Become Safety Hazards

Yesterday I was in MY bathroom blow drying my hair while the kids slept. I was about 3/4ths of the way through when the blow dryer stopped working. The GFCI plug for ALL of the bathrooms in the house is in the boys bathroom, so I went in to reset it. I pushed the reset button, but it didn't reset. The outlet cover on the bottom was in the way, so I unplugged it. As I sat it on the counter I thought that it felt really warm and that that was strange. At this point I realize I am smelling something that does not smell too great, and is not the normal boy bathroom stinch. I pushed reset again, nothing. I pulled out the top outlet cover. Only part of it came out. The outlet cover, meant to protect my children from injury, was melted INSIDE the outlet!

Guess that explains the burning plastic smell I was smelling!

I called Paul to tell him about the situation. He said to leave it alone until he got home and could replace it. He was at lunch with a friend, who happens to be a fire captain. He said he told this guy about it and said something to the affect of "you know how women are, she probably had her curling iron, blow dryer, iron, etc all plugged in at once.

Let me set the record straight. I ONLY had my blow dryer plugged in! And I was not even using the outlet that was having an issue!

He came home and changed the outlet last night. The back of the outlet box is burned and melted. I am not sure WHAT happened or WHY, but I am SO thankful that the GFCI worked before the bathroom that is between the bedrooms where my two children were sleeping caught on fire! If my blowdryer had not gone off, I never would have gone in there and found out that plastic was melting inside the outlet!

Now, however, I am scared to stick outlet covers in the outlet!

No comments: