Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ashamed

Mady loves Sesame Street! I do too, because Mady and Andrew will BOTH sit and watch it. An hour of quiet (except the sounds of Elmo and giggling from my kids). I know - mother of the year award is headed my way!! I am letting the tv "babysit" my kids. Really, I'm not. I am sitting here with them. Just letting the tv entertain my children for a while, so I can have a small break from that job!

Here is what I am ashamed about...I usually have a cup of coffee in the mornings. There is just no time for me to eat when I am feeding the kids and trying to make lunches and get everyone dressed, oh and let's not forget getting homework finished that last night everyone swore was done, yet every morning someone magically "remembers" that they did, in fact, have ONE MORE THING that they were supposed to do. But, I digress. By the time I have the chance and energy to grab something to eat, I don't wanna because then the kids, who had a filling breakfast no more than two hours ago, are STARVING! No snack will do! They MUST have what I am trying to eat. It is the only thing that will do. At least one of them will not take no for an answer. Now, I have NO problem ignoring their temper tantrum when they don't get their way. But, it is very hard to eat with a one year old pulling my pants off while screaming at the top of her lungs (and she has some VERY healthy and powerful lungs, I might add). It just isn't worth it! So, I typically wait until I put them down for naps and then I eat.

Well, that isn't working for me today. I am STARVING! I turn on Sesame Street and pray for Elmo or Abby Cadabby to show up and fast! Then, while my two angels sit lost in Elmo's World, I sneak into the kitchen. I VERY quietly open the refrigerator. YUM!! Homemade chicken tenders and mashed potatoes are staring at me. I stand there contemplating. It is ONLY 9 in the morning. That is for lunch and it is TOO early for lunch. Then I glance in the living room. They are still in Sesame Street land. I must think fast!

I grabbed the chicken and potatoes and quietly pop them in the microwave. Then I sit at the bar and eat, all the while I am hiding my food! I keep glancing over my shoulder to make sure that they are still watching tv. Then it hits me. I am sneaking food! I am so desperate to eat something without feeding it all to my starving children that I am actually HIDING my food!

Sesame Street has to do a clip on real kids (as opposed to puppets which is the only things Mads likes). I glance over my shoulder just in time to see Mads rounding the couch with one of AJ's shoes on and a hat sat gangster-like on top of her head (oh, I love her accessorizing, she makes her momma proud! You might also notice that her big toe is sticking out of the shoe).

I quickly, but carefully so she doesn't see my loot, put the food on the counter on the other side of the bar and hide my face while I finish chewing my food!

What has my life become?

Just FYI: I did finish my food without having to share!

No comments: