Thursday, August 02, 2012

Equality for All?

I try not to let things in society bother me too much. That is not to say I don't care or want things to be different. I simply feel if I get to caught up in it all it will eat away at me, consume me and frustrate me.

There are a couple of things going on lately that have become hard for me to ignore.

First, our state has decided to allow low-income kids in failing schools to get vouchers to go to other schools, including private schools. I see both sides of the argument with this choice. I see where the state is trying to give these kids a chance at a good education and I applaud them for realizing that some of their schools are lacking the ability to do that. I also see where it is not fair to those who actually pay their tuition to go to the schools. It is my understanding that if the state does not cover all of the tuition with these vouchers, the private school absorbs these cost (which means the paying students absorb this cost).

While I don't totally agree with this program, this is how I have decided to look at it: Many of these kids come from dysfunctional families that do not attend a church. This is getting many kids, that would otherwise never have the ability to learn about Christ, an opportunity to learn about Him and give them at least a chance to make their own, more informed, decision about the kind of life they want to live.

If I look at it this way I can make this a positive thing in my mind.

My only lingering issues are that I feel like this should not be income-based. Once again, the middle class is left behind. I cannot afford to put five kids in private school. While we are not in a failing school, I know we are not the only people that would not be able to afford it. Since the state has decided that middle class SHOULD BE ABLE to afford it, they are not offered a way out of the failing schools.

My other issue is that this has turned in to a religious argument. School has not even started, kids have not been in the classroom yet and there are already people arguing the right or wrong of public funds being used to teach creationism. If the state starts going in and changing how/what PRIVATE schools teach, I have a problem with that. The point of these schools are that parents have more of a say as to what/how their children learn. They pay, in many cases quite a bit, for that choice.

If a parent does not like something that a particular school teaches, don't send your child there. No one is FORCING anyone into private schools, they are simply offering to pay for your child to go to a better-performing school and offering your child a chance at a good education. I don't think the state should get to change anything about the private schools and how they are run. That includes adding assessment test. If they want to add assessment test, give them to the kids that are on vouchers only. Honestly, if kids are going from failing to passing, isn't that assessment enough?

Our news station put a post about this subject on their fb page and it became a huge argument between the religious and the non-religious. That is not what this was ever about. This is about a state that is struggling with education, ADMITS they are struggling and is trying to give options to help the students. So many people get mad because the state won't do anything to fix their problems and then they get mad because of their solution. No schools, at this point anyway, are being FORCED to participate. And, it is not just private schools that you can get vouchers for. It is just that more private schools have agreed to accept students. No parents are being forced to put their child in any particular school, either. It is an OPTION being made available. Take it or leave it, but don't try and change those that are agreeing to help!

One comment that really ate away at me in the fb debate was this:
"I know that this is not a political debate, but I am a democrat and some of the things I have seen posted are what is wrong within the Republican Party. Religious beliefs/sanctities will be the fall of religion in America. Honestly, Christians as mush as they may fight against it and hate it... they are the chief cause... yes, I am off topic, but the truth is the harder they fight for "their rights" its the harder us liberal "athiests" fight for our rights. I don't think anyone (for the most part hates God), but there is a difference between having reverence for God, fearing God, and more times than not using God to propel your own beliefs religiously."

So, as a Christian, if I am reading this correctly, if I fight for MY rights it is my fault that the nation is in the place it is in. See, I thought that is why people WANTED to be in America. Because they could believe what they wanted to believe and not be put down or punished. Why is it okay for "atheists" to fight however hard they have to for their rights and the "religious" are supposed to sit back and take it? When a child is told that he/she cannot read a Bible in a public place or a "government building" my rights are being infringed upon. But, I should just take that because I would not want to stir the pot of the non-religious and cause the fall of religion in America?

And to the person that posted in the same debate "Your parents just chose to teach values through religion because it was the easy way." I can guarantee you that in the world we live in now, teaching values is not easy in any way and neither is being a Christian. Unfortunately, often times peers are heard louder than parents. Being religious is so much more than just teaching values.

I will say right now that we choose to raise our children in a religious home. That does not mean that one day they won't decide it isn't for them. And, that also does not mean that if they turn their back to their religion or they live a life that we don't completely agree with that we will turn our back on them or love them any less. We don't choose to teach our children religion to make our life easier or to make teaching our children easier. We choose it because we BELIEVE IN IT! We live it because we BELIEVE IN IT!

The other topic that has been bothering me lately is this whole Chick-fil-a argument (which some how was also brought up in the fb debate about public funds going towards teaching of creationism). I never read anywhere where anyone with Chick-fil-a said anything negative about non-traditional marriage. From what I saw, he simply said that he believed in a traditional family. That is HIS OPINION AND BELIEF! Who are we (anyone) to judge him for his belief? What makes YOUR belief any more right/wrong, better/worse than his? Why is it okay for you to speak your opinions so openly and loudly, but because he believes something different he gets called names, his business gets bashed and boycotted, etc. This is America. He has the right to have his own belief. You have a right to your beliefs, and you have a right to not spend your money where you don't want to.

The people that are calling him a bigot, I think they are confused about the definition. Bigotry is defined as intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. Has Chick-fil-a ever turned someone away and not served them because they believe something different than the founders of the chain? Dan Cathy did not go on a crusade to bash anyone. He was asked his believes and he spoke out honestly about them. Now colleges and cities who shout that they are for equality want Chick-fil-a's kicked off their campuses and not to be built in their city because he does not believe what they do? How is that equality? If we are going to believe everyone is equal, no matter race, sex or religious belief then how can we penalize him for what he feels is right? How can we even question that or allow that to become headlines for any period of time?

I will teach my children that it is okay to not have the same views/opinions/thoughts as other people and that it is okay for them to stand up for what they believe in. And, that if others disagree with their opinion that is okay too. There will never be a time when everyone agrees with everyone or everything. But, no one should ever attack or be attacked because they don't agree with the believes of someone else.

As a friend put it earlier:The intolerance of those screaming for tolerance has become deafening.

No comments: