Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Wrapping Up Summer

Another summer is quickly coming to an end. That means my kids are still growing too fast.

This will be Andrew's last year at home. The past year we have done a lot of discussing and praying about whether or not to put him in preschool. The cost of the public preschool here went up significantly this year and while his education is very important to us we decided to just wait and let him start Kindergarten next year. He has done very well learning at home and he has NO issues as far as being a VERY social (often times TOO social) child. My only concern with him not being in a preschool environment is the fact that he does not have the structure at home that he will have at school. This year we will be spending some time working on sitting quiety, staying on task, etc., as much as I can with a four year old and a two year old anyway. Then we will hope for a teacher on the stricter side when he DOES start next year! My days of having kids at home all day are becoming numbered and I want to enjoy it and soak it in while I can.

This summer has been good. I started it off with a vacation (albeit a working vacation) with my husband. It was so awesome to get to spend some time together alone and out with other adults. It was our first trip without kids since we had kids - 12+ years ago!! We have to find a way to do that more often! It was nice to see that we still like each other and can still enjoy each other without kids.

A couple of weeks after that trip I got to go on a trip with my bestest friend ever -for going on TWENTY years *cough, cough*. This was another first. We talk just about daily, but she lives in Texas and I live in Louisiana, so we don't see each other much. It was great to get to spend some RELAXING, kid-free time with her.

In between the trips we stayed busy with golf camps, church Bible studies, lots of swimming, etc. I was not too excited about getting a pool when Paul first mentioned it, or even as it was going up. But, I LOVE it! Man, can it zap the kids energy!

The last couple of weeks have been rough for us all. I have been under the weather and back and forth to the dr. It is never good when Mom cannot get out of bed for a week and a half and when she does make it out of bed she is weak and has no energy! It was great to see how concerned and caring the boys were though. They really helped me out, especially the older three. And, I got several get well soon cards from some of the boys.

This week Caleb and Isaac are at church camp. They have been looking forward to this all summer and I am glad that they are getting to go. The year we moved to Louisiana Caleb went with our church in Arkansas. That was the last time he got to go. He is going to the same camp, but at a different campus in Mississippi. This will be Caleb's last year with this camp and then he moves up to Youth Camp. That means next year I will have THREE to pay for! I can't wait to hear all of their stories when they get home.

Next week Bryce is going to Dallas to spend five days with Nana. He is so excited and he doesn't even know all of the fun plans she has for him. He has spent the last week guessing because he knows I know. He has been wanting to go to Legoland since he found out there was one in Dallas opening. He has asked several times if he is going with Nana and I just keep shrugging my shoulders. She also got them really good seats to the circus. He has never been to the circus, so I am sure he will love that.

Next week we start our School Orientation/Open House rounds. Three kids at three schools this year! It will defininetly be a school bus transportation year! But, at least I can stagger what times they get up and who has to be ready when. It MIGHT make it a little less hectic in the morning, but I am not going to hold my breath about that!!

Then, school starts the 11th!! We have a 7th grader, 4th grader and 3rd grader! I think they are all pretty much ready to start. Caleb is looking forward to being on the swim team again and is playing in the band again. Isaac is still playing golf, which is more or less year round.

I hope everyone enjoyed their summer (and those who still have summer left continue to enjoy). While I will miss having my kids all at home, I am ready to get back on our more routine routine!

No comments: