Wednesday, October 05, 2011

I Needed Some More Excitement in My Life?

Now I have done it!

You thought being sick with five kids was bad. I might have topped it. Now I am on crutches with five kids!

Saturday, after spending the morning running some errands, we decided to take advantage of the BEAUTIFUL weather we have been blessed with and took the kids to the park. The park we went to has some parking along a road on the top of a hill that goes down to a lake. I got out, got Mads out and we were headed around the car to the road. The ground rolled out from under me. Literally! The ground was covered in acorns, on a hill, and I rolled DOWN landing on my derriere.

The good news is, Mads is perfectly fine!

I, on the other hand, had my leg twist behind me and then had 30 pounds of "fine" land on my twisted knee! There was pain shooting from my knee to my hip. We got me up and I tried to walk off the pain, which didn't happen. So, that was the end of the celebration of the beautiful weather. It was time to go home!

I spent the rest of the day with my leg elevated and ice on it (RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation). The pain in my hip seemed to improve, the knee not so much. We looked online and it sounds like a sprain, but of course there is the possibility of a tear. I did not go to the dr, because I did not want to pay to hear RICE. It did not swell very much and there was no visible bruising.

I have been on crutches since Paul went and found some Saturday evening. That was fine this weekend, when my wonderful husband was home to take care of the kids, care for my every need, cook, clean, shop, etc. Monday, however, reality set in. I was home alone with two preschoolers and on crutches. By Monday, I could put a little weight on my leg so I used the crutches when possible, but slowly hobbled around when not possible. When Paul came home I was sent to the couch. Same story yesterday.

Today the swelling has gone down, I can "walk", if you want to call it that, although it still hurts. I was told by a nurse if there was not improvement within the week to go to the dr. I was also told I needed to stay off of it completely. I asked if she remembered I have five kids, two of which I am with ALL. THE. TIME. and they never stop.

I have to go run a couple of errands this morning. I am going in to this chanting "I think I can, I think I can!" and hoping for a cooperative four year old and two year old.

STOP LAUGHING! It IS possible that they will cooperate - not likely, but possible :)

No comments: