Sunday, November 14, 2010

It is Called HOMEwork for a Reason!

At the kids schools they do not send home papers every day or week. In elementary school they send home "paper packets" every two weeks which is all of their graded papers in an envelope. I am not a fan of this AT ALL! By the time the papers and tests come home for me to see and have the kids correct, they have moved on to something else in class. To me, it kind of defeats the purpose of the kids doing assignments if they cannot learn from their mistakes on the assignments.

In Middle School, we don't get papers back. If we want to see the kids grades we have to get online and look them up. I got on to check Caleb's grades, because we are STILL having the "I don't have any homework" discussions every night. I was NOT happy to see that he had a B (an 85, here an 84 is a C, so almost a C) in READING! He reads ALL.THE.TIME!

When I asked why his grade was so low he said he must have not done too well on a comprehension test. I argued that he needed to read his book at home and he said they read it in class. I told him he obviously was NOT comprehending what he was reading and he needed to bring it home and reread.

After a couple of days (and getting progress reports in the mail with still a B) of not getting any good answer for the grade, I emailed the teacher. Turns out, she says the ONLY reason he does not have a A in the class is because he either did not complete or did not complete correctly a HOMEWORK assignment! That is right....he has a low grade because of his HOMEWORK (which he didn't do at home, so I don't know when he did it)

This did not do much for his argument! He has already been a little weary of the fact that the church we have been going to for the last month (and joined today) is where his teacher for this class goes. Even worse, she is in the Sunday School class we have been visiting! I am not sure that he likes me having such easy accessibility to her (not that we talk about his grades at church)!

He better hope he has that grade up in the next 3 weeks!!

No comments: