Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Visit to Colorado Family


We went to Colorado and got to see my family - everyone except my big little brother and his family. It was a nice visit, I just wish it was longer. It was nice though because the kids are all old enough to remember who everyone is. It always seems like the kids spend the week getting to know everyone again and then it is time to go, and then we start all over again next time.

We took 3 of my nephews and Caleb hiking in the mountains while we were there. We chose a great time to go because while everyone else was suffering in the 100+ degree weather we were in the cool mountains. The scenery was beautiful, and the kids really seemed to enjoy themselves. They spent most of their time if not hiking, playing in the cold river.

It was about a 3 mile hike with plenty of hills going both ways. I was impressed with how well the boys did with the hike. We got a late start Monday when we got there so we did not make it all the way to where we wanted to camp. We hiked for about 3 hours and set up camp and then got up the next morning and hiked the rest of the way to where we were planning on camping. It took about 4 hours or so to hike in to the final camping place. It only took 2 and a half hours to hike out. We kept telling the kids we smelled Taco Bell or McDonalds and they were so ready for "real" food, as they put it, that it kept them moving. They were not too fond of the dehydrated bland food we had taken with us! Caleb was sick the day we left so he was not able to carry his pack out. I think he got too dehydrated and I know he did not eat much while we were there and his body was just not doing well. He still managed to hike out though.

We got back to Dad and Mom's house and Isaac had pink fingernails. He and his cousin decided to polish his nails. Alyssa loves painting fingernails!! Since this is the first time I have been away from the kids for more than overnight, Isaac and Bryce would not let me out of their site!! It was nice at first to know how much they missed me, but it got old quick when I could not leave their site for one second without them screaming. I don't know that the four days away from them were worth the four days after I got back with them!

I got to take my niece, Alyssa, shopping. It was nice to do girlie things for once. I was so excited to get to look for little girl clothes, and buy her makeup and nail polish! Maybe it will get it out of my system for a little bit! Probably not, though.

No comments: